We will only thrive as a society when we come together to acknowledge and celebrate our differences, leveraging them to the greater good of all.
Social integration is a thread which weaves through all of our services provided by Diversity Living Services, particularly in our provision to refugees.
Cohesion is central to our wellbeing and growth as a society as well as individual self-reliance. We work to promote social integration knowing that it not only helps the individual, but society as a whole.
Our aim is to breakdown socioeconomic inequality so that we create a society in which we bring together the benefits of social cohesion. We are keen to socially integrate refugees to their local community so that they can benefit from and contribute to culture, employment, voluntary opportunities, health services, leisure activities and more.
Many of our endeavours towards greater social integration involve promoting awareness and facilitating access to services. Therefore, our social integration aims encompass those of our other areas of action.
Social integration runs through all Diversity Living Services actions as we recognise its importance in all that we do. We take the following steps to promote social integration:
• Improve knowledge and raise awareness: We help BAME and refugee communities to understand the importance of social integration whilst also facilitating this by providing independent and confidential information covering a range of issues. These include welfare rights, benefits, housing, employment and legal issues.
• Provide training to close gaps: Social cohesion is hindered by lack of insight and understanding. We organise community training and awareness events across a broad spectrum of social integration issues from work to health.
• Foster change in younger generations: We work closely with younger BAME and refugee community members to foster greater social integration for the future.
• Signposting: We provide signposting services to enable BAME and refugee individuals to fully integrate in to the wider British society.
• Influencing: We strive to ensure we have visibility over policies at a society level ensuring that the BAME and refugee communities are adequately represented.
It is incredibly difficult to measure the outcomes of social integration with worthwhile validity. However, we can measure our success across a broad range of other markers, each of which involves an element of social integration.
We expect that those using Diversity Living Services will themselves appreciate their growing understanding of social integration and how it benefits them and their community. Particularly, we anticipate that refugees will become valued and important members of their new community, both contributing to it and being self-reliant.
Diversity Living Services is accredited to UN in Special Consultative Status with Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Diversity Living Services is a registered Company and Charity (England and Wales) Registered Company No: 4459816 * Registered Charity No: 1098916